This weekend I went to see ‘Love, Simon’ and I’m still on a giddy euphoric high. It absolutely is one of the best films I have ever seen and you should all go see it.
For those of you who don’t know it, it’s based on the book ‘Simon vs the Homosapian agenda’ (which I have now of course purchased) about a teenage boy in his final year of high school who is gay. The only problem no one knows. He starts emailing an anonymous boy from his school ‘Blue’ who has the same secret. Although neither know who the other one is they form a connection and fall in love. It is one of those wholesome, feel good, all American, teenage coming of age films. A romance that, to use one of my favourite phrases, gives you all the feels. How incredible that it is the first mainstream Hollywood romance where the male protagonist is gay. This is of course a big deal, as recently as when I was a tween this premise would have been unthinkable, yet at the same time it isn’t, because when you watch it, it just makes sense, why shouldn’t this be the norm?
This is such a smart film, hold your sides funny, I think I spent 90% off the film crying with laughter and the other 10% crying from pure emotions sometimes I was crying from both simultaneously. It perfectly portrays all the jumbled emotions of a teenager coming to terms with himself. Simon jumps from crush to crush as he tries to determine Blues identity in the way that wild teenage daydreams do, falls out and makes up with friends, and struggles with his relationship with his family. Nick Robinson and the rest of the cast are sublime, and I think I’m not the only one to now have just a little bit of a crush. Also I really want Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel to adopt me, they play the most wonderful of parents.
This is a modern day rom com with a nostalgic feel, which reminds you of all the great romantic comedies we grew up with, and leaves you with the same warm and fuzzy feeling. Oh yes and it has a kickass soundtrack that has been playing on loop ever since I left the cinema.
Go give this movie a watch people, I promise you won’t regret it!